Sunday, May 06, 2012

A Little R&R

Chris was able to come home for 2 weeks to visit last month.  He had been deployed for 9 months before he got his R&R.  That was not our original intention, but that is how it worked out.  The army is moving from 12 month deployments with a 2-week R&R to a 9 month deployment with no R&R.  I think that is a good thing.  When Chris left the first time, it was hard of course.  But this second time was absolutely killer.  Mostly for my daughter.  She is still struggling from the aftermath (3 weeks since he left I think).  She thought he was back for good I suppose.  We tried to explain it to her, but she's only two!  Plus, this time she knew he would be gone for a long time (because we told her) so she was terribly upset.  She is experiencing these big (as in BIG) emotions, but is not able to maturely process them and gain closure.  Of course, children are resilient and I don't believe she will be affected long-term, but it's hard right now.  


But, we did have fun while he was here!  Chris....




was greeted with fun signs...



was able to (finally) meet his son...

celebrated Autumn's 2nd birthday...

snuggled with his dog... 

and his babies...

celebrated Easter...

and spent time with his wifey!

We also took at a trip to visit his parents in WV, but didn't get a picture of them!  We went to the Gatlinburg Aquarium, but didn't get any pictures there either.  I think taking pictures everywhere you go is really hard to do!  I'm always too busy wrangling a child or two ;)

Overall, we were most certainly blessed by his visit and if the aftermath has been *ahem* challenging, it just emphasizes how much we love and need our husband/daddy around.

In other news, my baby boy is sick.  He has a double ear infection.  Currently, he is on his second round of antibiotics and getting worse.  Yes, worse.  He was on amoxicillian and is now taking Omnicef.  We're going on two weeks now.  Guess we'll go back to the doctor again tomorrow.  Poor little baby! He's only 5 months old.  Breaks my heart.  He cries and cries and won't go to sleep very easily and wants to be held all the time, which is making Autumn insecure and clingy.  I feel bad for both of them.  None of us are getting enough sleep!  We leave for Germany in 5 weeks so I really hope everyone is well and happy by then or that is going to be one miserable plane ride.   

Anyway, here's a pic of my cuties:
LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM SO MUCH!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg,

Its Robyn...this post made my eyes a little sweaty but the pic of Shaffer with the kids reading a book made me smile for 2 reasons-it is adorable but Autumn's hair is my favorite thing of life. I know you are probably over it b/c i say it every 5 seconds but it is fab-u-lous! And so are you! You are so strong and brave-Happy Mommy's day!!!!!

Meghan said...

Haha I have to say even after all this time her hair totally cracks me up too! I don't think I'll ever get used to it!