Monday, August 20, 2012

Mr. Man 8 Months Old

Yes, I missed 7 months.  I was pregnant and sick and depressed.  Unfortunately, he had a big leap from 6-7 months which is when most of his new developments occurred so when I look back here to compare with the new baby I might be a month off.  I'll try to mention which month his achievements happened in if I can remember.

Things that definitely happened from 6-7 months of age:


He learned how to sit up like a champ.  He didn't learn it overnight or anything and there was a lot of trial and error but by 7 months of age, he had it down pat.  And that made my life ever so much easier!

He learned to sleep for 12 straight hours at night and take longer naps.  This happened in a funny way.  We moved to Germany and he was so jet lagged that I was having to wake him up to eat for several days and once he was on the right time zone he just kept on sleeping great!  Who would have thought jet lag would be such a huge blessing?!  That is called the Lord's mercy my friends.  At 7 months of age, he was taking a long morning nap, a long afternoon nap, and a little baby nap/rest time in the late afternoon before dinner.  Then sleeping at night from 7p-7a.

I had to put him on formula.  He was losing weight (just like Autumn did at 6 months old!  Is it their age or moving to Germany?  Kind of a weird coincidence that they both moved to Germany at 6 months of age).  So he was still nursing  on the side and taking 3 6oz bottles of formula a day.

I started him on solids at about 6.5 months of age and let me tell you , the boy loves his food.  He honest to goodness, used to cry every time he a.) finished a bottle b.) finished nursing or c.) finished a solid food meal.  I am not exaggerating when I say he cried every time!  I didn't know what to do because I know you can't over nurse a baby, but you can over feed him with formula.  And, let me tell you, this boy has porked up :)  I think it's fine because he was always so chubby and big until he started losing weight (which is never a good thing for a baby!).  So really, he is just back to looking like he did before.  Hope that makes sense.  I think he has slowed down now because he has been in 9 month clothes for at least 4 weeks now.  But he gained 4 pounds the last 2 months! We have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll see then how he's doing in the weight department.

Also from 6 to 7 months of age, Caleb's daddy came home from Afghanistan and he found out he's going to be a big brother!  He was real impressed, let me tell you ;)   It was big month for him!


Ok, moving on to 7 to 8 months of age.

Sleeping is the same except he dropped his cat nap before dinner which I was happy about.  Honestly the more his schedule can resemble Autumn's the easier it is for me and Chris.  They can now bathe together which is awesome and they go to bed just 30 minutes apart.  He gets up earlier than she does in the morning so I get some time with him and he naps in the morning alone so I get some time with her.  Then they nap together in the afternoon so I get some time to myself.  Works out really well.

He is officially not nursing anymore :(  It was hard for me to let that go, but he just kind of lost interest and then he started biting!  He probably bit me 15 times and let me tell you, when  a baby with teeth bites you while nursing, it freaking hurts!!  So that ended that.  He is drinking 4 7oz bottles of formula.

He started crawling.  He gets around everywhere! It's amazing how fast he is on all fours.  He crawled almost 2 months earlier than Autumn did!  I guess having a big sister to chase is a big motivator ;)

He got his first haircut (by mom).  It's not perfect since I am not a hairdresser but it looks better than it did!

The comb-over is no more!


He's a very happy baby when he's at home or out with me or Chris.  Leaving him with others has been a challenge.  He just cries the entire time we are gone.  We have only tried this 3 times at church.  Each time gets a little better so I'm hoping he will outgrow that pretty soon.  They say separation anxiety peaks at 18  months, but I'm not sure how it could get any worse than it is now.

That's about it!

No comments: