Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mommy Sense

I don't know if that is what it is called or not.  I have heard it before I think, but maybe it is called "Mommy Instinct" or something?  Not sure.  I do know, however, that every parenting magazine says in some shape or form "go with your gut when it comes to your children".  And it is so true!! Here's a story for you:

Caleb is teething.  One particularly stubborn tooth has been trying to break though for about a week now.  He had a blister on his gum (apparently totally normal?!) that bled a couple days ago and there is actually skin hanging down! Gross I know and maybe TMI.  Sorry 'bout that.   He also got stung by a wasp on two different places last Friday.  Poor little man, huh?!  So, yeah, he has been super fussy lately.

2 or 3 days ago he woke up with a long grade fever (100 I think) and even though I gave him Tylenol and Ibuprofen around the clock, it didn't go away.  The next day he seemed better, but still not himself.  He was still fussy and low fever.  I mentioned to Chris that he just wasn't acting like himself and maybe we should go to the ER. He wasn't sleeping as good as usual and just wanted me to hold him all the time.  Chris said to give him another day in case it was his tooth bothering him (turned it to be a good thing we waited).  The next day his tooth still hadn't broken through, he had a fever of 100.8, and when I put him down for his morning nap, he slept for 30 minutes and then woke up crying and would not stop.  So I called Chris and said "We are going to the ER.  Can you come with us?"   Side note for you non army Germany living people:  There is not walk in clinic here and there are not "work in" appointments.  You pretty much have "Well Visits" at the army base and anything else that needs immediate attention you have to go the German ER for Children (called the Klinikum I think).

So Chris came along and off we went.  Several hours later we left the ER with a diagnosis of a double ear infection and scripts for antibiotics.  That was yesterday and today he woke up happy for a change and his tooth finally broke through!  He has had 2 doses of antibiotic but they must already be working because he mostly seems like his old self again.  Still a bit cranky, but nothing like he has been.

This is 3 times I have followed my gut when my logical mind told me it wasn't a big deal and my gut was right.  This last time my mind was telling me it was his tooth that was bothering him.  Part me of was saying, "Of course he's fussy, of course he's not sleeping, his tooth is bothering him", but the other part of me was saying, "there is something more wrong with my baby than a tooth!!".  I had to take Autumn to the German ER last year because she wasn't acting right.  Her temps were not severe (101) but I just felt something was wrong with her so off we went (with my wonderful friend Maryanne who drove me since Chris was in the field) and sure enough she had some sort of virus that would have only gotten worse if we had put it off.

I have learned to trust my instincts.  I, of course, still need to evaluate the situation and not over react, but I don't think I will hesitate to take them in because I am worried that "it's not serious enough" or "they will think I'm over reacting".  One time I did take Autumn in and I was wrong, it was nothing.  And that's ok because it put my mind at ease.  So, lesson of the story is to trust your mommy sense! God gave it to you for a reason!

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Yes, that was me at the ceremony. It was just a brown shirt, but I'm impressed he remembered that much! The kids were there, too. And surprisingly very well behaved. Whew. No one ran onto the field or anything. :) It's the small things...