Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Different Sort of Living

No, I'm not talking about the Germans, silly.  I'm talking about living out of a hotel room!  Different? Yes.  Awful?  Surprisingly, not really.

I don't know if it's God's Grace or my low maintenance, but it could be a lot worse. The biggest issue we have run across is Baby Girl sharing a room with us at bedtime.  She knows we are staying awake & she wants to hang out.  We didn't have any problems at my mom's or Hubby's mom's house.  I guess because I would take her into a dark room & sing a song to her & she would just be so sleepy.  Maybe back then she thought that I was going to go to sleep too, just in different room?  I don't know.  But, now, she looks over my shoulder at her daddy & smiles & waves (her lastest trick) & then when I lay her down, she cries.   She's very inconsistent with her crying.  She doesn't cry every night.  Night before last she went down without a peep.  But then last night she cried for like 10 minutes & that was after I had tried to comfort her about 3 times & she had stayed up 1-2 hours later than normal.  The good thing is that once she's down, she's down. She is back to sleeping between 10-12 hours a night.  Of course she still makes all kinds of baby noises that make me hold my breath because I think she's going to wake up.  Those of you who sleep with your baby or allow your baby to sleep in a basinette in your room or whatever, I seriously don't know how you do it!  Babies are loud sleepers!!

Another issue living in a hotel raises is it's amazing shrinking abilities.  Did you know that hotel rooms shrink?  I did not know that.  It's a phenomenon that only occurs if you live in one longer than a week.  It was plenty big a week & a half ago when we got here...but now?  Definitely shrinking.   There is one chair.  One wardrobe.  2 dressers thank goodness.  2 sinks (one for the bathroom & one for washing dishes).  It does, however, have the one main thing I cannot live without: a coffeepot.  Yes, yes, yes where there is coffee, I will be ok.  I even bought some "Seattle's Best" with a ration card!  Coffee is rationed along with gas, cigarettes, & hard liquor.  

The only other thing I miss is a bathtub.  Generally speaking, I do not take a lot of baths.  In fact, the only time I really take baths is when I'm freezing.  Which I was last night.  Baby Girl & Hubby were grizzly bear warm, but I could NOT get comfortable.  So, instead of taking a nice hot bath & drinking hot cocoa, I crawled under the covers & went to sleep.  Voila! An hour later, I was warm :)

To counteract the missing bathtub is our very friendly German housekeeper who is now my friend.  She loves Baby Girl so I love her.  That's how it works right?  You work your way into a woman's heart through her baby?  :)

And, of course, I have books.  Lots & lots of books.  That last sentence just makes me feel warm & fuzzy.

There is one sort of problem living in a hotel with your army husband & your infant.  It's called PT (physical training).  And it starts next week probably at 5:30 or 6.  OH NO.  Currently, Hubby leaves at 7:45 so it's no biggie if he wakes us up...which, coincidentally, he does every morning. I'm not sure if he is loud (but I think he is) or if the room is just too small to not hear him (maybe), but if Baby Girl starts waking up at 5:30 I am going to be one miserable momma.

We'll see.  But for now, I have coffee & I have Internet & I'm pretty happy!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

When we travel in a hotel room we do our best to stick the little child in a corner in her pack n play and then tack a sheet up in front of her bed so she cant see us :)
dont know about your layout, but it's worth a shot!